10 Projects to Jump-start Your Makerspace
Inspire students of all ages to enjoy STEM when you let them loose in a creative makerspace! These ten hands-on engineering projects encourage innovation and don't require complicated materials.
Makerspaces are popular collaborative community spaces where people of all ages can put science and engineering to creative use. With an array of materials available, a visit to a local makerspace is an invitation to play with science and engineering and really see how things work.
You may have a makerspace in your school or at the library, or maybe you have an area of your classroom dedicated to maker activities students can explore or certain days of the week on which you turn the room into a makerspace. With a few materials and a surface to work on, garage or basement spaces can easily be recast as home makerspaces, too!
Not every makerspace will have high-tech tools like a 3D printer, but you don't have to have expensive materials to start up your own makerspace. With an assortment of craft supplies, electronics parts, and recycled materials, you can set up a makerspace full of inspiring STEM that kids can explore.
Bookmark or pin these projects to add to your makerspace!
Free projects for your makerspace
Try one of these ten STEM projects for creative hands-on science and engineering with a DIY "maker" flair:
- Build a Wind-Powered Car
- Junkbots: Robots from Recycled Materials
- Duplicate Your Drawings with a Machine
- Build a Paper Roller Coaster
- Build a Robot Hand
- Make a Cotton Ball Launcher
- Make Your Own Harmonica!
- Make a Night-Light
- Make a Paper Circuit
- Build a Paper Speaker
Share your story!
What activities are part of your school, library, or home makerspace? Email us at email@example.com to share your story!
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 10+ Activities and Lessons to Teach Plant Science
- Explore COVID-19 and Virus Science and Health with Free STEM Activities
- 15+ STEM Lessons and Activities to Teach Chemical Reactions
- Fun, Free, STEM Activities for Preschool
- 9 STEM Activities to Teach about States of Matter
- 6 STEM Activities to Teach about Thermal Energy and Heat
- Star Wars-themed STEM Activities for May 4th
- 12 Engineering Design Challenges Perfect for Remote Learning
Explore Our Science Videos
Make a Slushy! Yummy STEM Project
Cotton Ball Launcher - Fun STEM Activity
How to Build an ArtBot