Build a Simple Special Delivery Robot for Valentine's Day
Get creative and build your own Valentine's Day Special Delivery robot!
From Simple Vibrobot to Special Delivery
All you need to make a simple vibrating robot (a vibrobot) is a battery and a motor. With these basic electronics parts, students can experiment create robots that shuffle around. With toothbrush heads, students can make toothbrush-head Bristlebot robots. But challenging students to experiment with other options for bodies, legs, and feet makes for hands-on STEM fun. The Junkbots activity and Vibrobots project idea at Science Buddies guide students in building simple robots with a range of materials. Students can use everyday craft materials, creative thinking, and a few electronics parts to design and build their own clever and cute robots.
The Valentine's Day robot shown above and in the following video is a simple vibrobot with a body and legs constructed from paper and glue.
What will your special delivery robot look like? Get creative with vibrobots and try all kinds of different materials for robot bodies, arms, and legs. How will a robot with pipe cleaner legs move compared to a robot with legs made from paper or paperclips? Put your questions to the test to find out!
For related introductory robotics projects, activities, and inspiration see the following:
- Halloween Robots
- Junkbots: Robots from Recycled Materials
- Design Your Own Vibrobots
- Art Bot: Build a Wobbly Robot That Creates Art
- Build a Bristlebot, a Tiny Toothbrush Robot
- Racing Bristlebots: On Your Mark. Get Set. Go!
- Build a Brushbot
- Toothbrush Robots at Home
- How to Do Robotics at Home with Your Kids
Free Educator Lesson Plans
Teachers can lead in-class robotics exploration with students using the Vibrobots— Tiny Robots from Scratch or Building Junkbots—Robots from Recycled Materials lesson plan. Lesson plans are NGSS-aligned and contain background information for teachers, suggested topics for classroom discussion, directions for a hands-on activity, a worksheet, and an assessment. (View all Lesson Plans)
The Science Buddies Bristlebot Kit contains the specialty parts needed to experiment with vibrobots, junkbots, toothbrush-head Bristlebots, the ArtBot, or the BrushBot. Depending on the project or activity, you will need assorted craft materials. The Bristlebot Kit is available from Home Science Tools.
You Might Also Enjoy these Previous Entries:
- 16 Women in Engineering to Learn More About
- Free Resources Support Teacher's Innovative STEM Academy
- 25 Women in Science to Learn More About
- 6 Steps to Success with the Fluor Engineering Challenge
- Take the Fluor Challenge for Engineers Week
- STEM is for Everyone: Nicholas Saunderson, Blind Mathematician
- 10 Fun Wintry Science Activities
- Learn More About these 19 Scientists for Black History Month
Explore Our Science Videos
How to Build a Brushbot
Make Fake Snow - Craft Your Science Project
How to Make Elephant Toothpaste