9 STEM Activities to Teach about States of Matter
Use these free hands-on STEM activities help teach students about states of matter.
Free STEM Activities to Teach about States of Matter
The following hands-on science activities from Science Buddies' library of STEM Activities for Kids can be used with students in or out of the classroom to explore states of matter science:
- Colorful Patterns in Melting Ice: colorful science activity helps students visualize and explore changes from solid to liquid.
- Go With the Flow: use the task of pouring from a full container to explore the behavior of fluids.
- Homemade Slushies: explore changes from liquid to solid while mixing up a tasty treat.
- How to Harvest Water from Fog: set up a device to capture fog and explore the change from gas (water vapor) to liquid (water).
- Measure the Pressure: build a barometer to measure atmospheric pressure and explore how temperature affects gases.
- Measure Up with a Homemade Thermometer: make a simple thermometer and explore how temperature affects liquids and gases.
- Oobleck: A Recipe for a Mesmerizing Mixture: explore how a non-Newtonian fluid behaves as both solid and a liquid.
- Why Soda Fizzes — Boyle's Law Demonstration: use air- and water-filled balloons to explore Boyle's law and the connection between gas volume and pressure.
- How Do Melting Polar Ice Caps Affect Sea Levels?: explore the change from solid to liquid in the context of polar ice caps.
Get Inspired with STEM Videos
The following videos are from the activities mentioned above. Short videos like these are a great way for student to see what's involved in a project or activity before starting.
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Teach About Genetics and Heredity with Free STEM Lessons & Activities
- Teach About Robotics with Free STEM Lessons & Activities
- Teach About Biodiversity with Free STEM Lessons & Activities
- Teach About Electricity with Free STEM Lessons & Activities
- Teach About Magnetism with Free STEM Lessons & Activities
- Mars Rover Landing: Space Science & Mars STEM Lessons and Activities
- 12 Activities and Lessons to Teach Potential and Kinetic Energy
- 10+ Activities and Lessons to Teach Plant Science
Explore Our Science Videos
Toy Sailboat with Keel
4 Easy Robot Science Projects for Kids
DIY Toy Sailboat