Center of a Shape Science
In this family STEM activity, students experiment with a simple technique that can help them determine the center of a shape. Grab some paperclips and string to explore!
In this week's family science activity, students learn how to find the "middle" or "center" of a two-dimensional shape. It can be easy to locate the center of a symmetrical shape like a circle or a square, but finding the middle of an irregular shape can seem tricky. With a bit of science, kids can pinpoint the center of any shape. Students will get hands-on as they suspend shapes with paperclips and string and draw a straight line along the string. When they suspend the shape from a different spot on the perimeter and draw another straight line along the string, what will they notice about the two lines? Try suspending the shape from a different spot on the perimeter again and repeating the process. What do you see happening with the lines in the middle of your shape?
Creative ScienceYou can use any sturdy shape drawing for this project, but you will be poking holes around the edge and drawing on it, so you probably don't want to use a prized piece of art! While you can just mark your lines with a pencil, if you use colored pencils, markers, or pens to draw your lines, you will end up with something colorful in the end!
The following Science Buddies activity on the Scientific American website has all the information you need to do this science activity with your students at home: "X" Marks the Spot: Finding the Center of Mass.
Students interested in this week's family science activity may also enjoy the following hands-on science project ideas and experiments:
- Circus-Trick Science: How to Balance Anything
- Weekly Family Science Activity Spotlight: Circus Science
- The Trick to Beating a Carnival Game
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 12 Science Kits for Summer Science Experiments and Discovery
- 15 Science Projects to Make and Give for Father's Day
- Ready, Set, Go! (Awesome Summer Science Experiments)
- Awesome Summer Science Experiments
- 10 STEM Activities with Cardboard Tubes
- 19 Science Activities for Mother's Day
- 13 STEM Gifts You'll Feel Good About Giving
- Imagine Your Story - STEM Activities for Storytellers of All Ages!
Explore Our Science Videos
Make a Paper Lantern STEM Activity
Stretchy Balloons! Fun STEM Activity
Build A Vortex Cannon!