20 Halloween Science Experiments!
From icky slime to candy coatings, fake blood, wearable LEDs, a fire snake, and things that foam or glow in the dark, we have suggestions for Halloween-themed STEM to explore with students!
Update! This post has been updated for 2021!
With its emphasis on the ghostly, the ghoulish, the gruesome, the spooky, the icky, and, of course, the sweet (to eat), Halloween brings an assortment of exciting themes to October. Science Buddies has science and engineering projects, activities, and lessons that tie in with Halloween and can make for great classroom, home, or independent science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) learning opportunities. With a bit of trick-or-treat-inspired thinking, teachers can plan fun Halloween-themed activities for science class!
Here are some of our favorite Halloween-themed science and engineering experiments and activities to do with students at school or kids at home.
Free K-12 Halloween-themed STEM projects, activities, and ideas
Try one of these 20 activities for hands-on science you can easily "dress up" for Halloween:
- How to Make Slime (Teachers! See also the Slime Shop: Engineer Your Own Slime lesson plan.)
- Electronics and Play Dough
- Candy Core Samples
- 3D Print with Sand: No 3D Printer Required!
- Build a Balloon Car (A lesson plan is available!)
- Make a Fire Snake
- Making Shadow Puppets
- Wearable Light-up STEM
- Mouthwatering Candy Melt
- The Physics of Fake Blood
- Explore Glow-in-the-Dark Water!
- Make a Lemon Volcano (See also these other foaming, fizzing, and bubbling ideas.)
- Candy Corn Geodesic Dome
- Make an Alka-Seltzer Powered Lava Lamp
- Building a Halloween Brushbot
- Halloween Robots
- Pumpkin Power
- Science Projects that Double as Halloween Costumes
- Candy Color Chromatography
- Colored Shadows
Bookmark or pin one of our Halloween posts or projects for extra hands-on learning fun with students this Halloween!
For even more fun Halloween science ideas, see: Spooktacular Halloween Science.
In addition to our Halloween collections, you and your students may enjoy activities and experiments from these "wizardly" science collections:
Share your story!
What's your best Halloween-themed idea for hands-on science and engineering with students? We would love to hear how you tie Halloween in with your science class. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your story!
Pin this collection:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 20+ Coding Activities for Beginners and Beyond
- 13 Tasty Food Science Experiments!
- 8 Inspiring Native American Scientists and Engineers to Know!
- 20 Halloween Science Experiments!
- Get Inspired by these Hispanic Scientists and Engineers
- Inspiring Scientists and Engineers to Know - Asian American Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- 10 Reasons to Do the Fluor Challenge in Addition to $10,000 in Prizes!
- Women's History Month: 50+ Women in Science and Engineering to Learn More About
Explore Our Science Videos
Potato Battery Myths Debunked
How To Balance Anything – STEM activity
Marble Roller Coaster Science Project