Make Your Own Kazoo
In this family STEM activity, perfect timed for summer parades, kids make kazoos and experiment to find out what gives a kazoo its sound.
With just a few household and craft materials, kids can make their own kazoos and explore the physics behind this classic noisemaker. A kazoo resembles a flute or clarinet, but your kids may be surprised to learn that a kazoo is more closely related to a drum!
Following the steps of this week's family science activity, kids make their own kazoos and test at each stage of assembly to better understand the physics behind how a kazoo makes noise. Once the kazoo is complete, kids can experiment to find ways to improve their instrument's noisemaking abilities! This science project is perfect for summer noisemaking fun!
The following Science Buddies activity has all the information you need to do this science activity with your students at home: Can You Kazoo?
Students intrigued by this science activity or interested in other music-themed science projects may also enjoy the following student science projects:
- Blowing Bottle Tops: Making Music with Bottles
- Building Banjos
- Customize Your Own Drum Set!
- Do-Re-Mi with Straws
- How to Make a Guitar Sing
- How to Make a Piano Sing
- Play an Electronic Drumset with a Raspberry Pi
- Take a Musical Step Back in Time: Make Your Own Phonograph from Everyday Items
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Throwing Away the Plan: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #8)
- Wacky Tricks: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #7)
- Adding Art: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #6)
- Building Toys: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #5)
- 8 Free Science Activities with Toilet Paper Tubes
- Observing Nature: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #4)
- Playing with Fire: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #3)
- Find Fun STEM Activities to Fit Science Needs
Explore Our Science Videos
Make a Lemon Volcano - Fun Science Experiment
How to Make a Bristlebot
Make a Homemade Fly Trap