Build a Simple Special Delivery Robot for Valentine's Day
Get creative and build your own Valentine's Day Special Delivery robot!
Special Delivery! Use paper, craft materials, and creative thinking to turn a simple vibrating robot into a Valentine's Day delivery bot! www.sciencebuddies.org
From Simple Vibrobot to Special Delivery
All you need to make a simple vibrating robot (a vibrobot) is a battery and a motor. With these basic electronics parts, students can experiment create robots that shuffle around. With toothbrush heads, students can make toothbrush-head Bristlebot robots. But challenging students to experiment with other options for bodies, legs, and feet makes for hands-on STEM fun. The Junkbots activity and Vibrobots project idea at Science Buddies guide students in building simple robots with a range of materials. Students can use everyday craft materials, creative thinking, and a few electronics parts to design and build their own clever and cute robots.
The Valentine's Day robot shown above and in the following video is a simple vibrobot with a body and legs constructed from paper and glue.
What will your special delivery robot look like? Get creative with vibrobots and try all kinds of different materials for robot bodies, arms, and legs. How will a robot with pipe cleaner legs move compared to a robot with legs made from paper or paperclips? Put your questions to the test to find out!
For related introductory robotics projects, activities, and inspiration see the following:
- Halloween Robots
- Junkbots: Robots from Recycled Materials
- Design Your Own Vibrobots
- Art Bot: Build a Wobbly Robot That Creates Art
- Build a Bristlebot, a Tiny Toothbrush Robot
- Racing Bristlebots: On Your Mark. Get Set. Go!
- Build a Brushbot
- Toothbrush Robots at Home
- 20 Tips for Doing Robotics with Kids
Free Educator Lesson Plans
Teachers can lead in-class robotics exploration with students using the Vibrobots— Tiny Robots from Scratch or Building Junkbots—Robots from Recycled Materials lesson plan. Lesson plans are NGSS-aligned and contain background information for teachers, suggested topics for classroom discussion, directions for a hands-on activity, a worksheet, and an assessment. (View all Lesson Plans)
The Science Buddies Bristlebot Kit contains the specialty parts needed to experiment with vibrobots, junkbots, toothbrush-head Bristlebots, the ArtBot, or the BrushBot. Depending on the project or activity, you will need assorted craft materials. The Bristlebot Kit is available from Home Science Tools.
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 25+ Coding Projects for Beginners and Beyond
- Diabetes Science Projects - Fostering Diabetes Awareness through Student STEM
- Native American Scientists and Engineers--Native American Heritage Month in Science Class
- Arduino Science Projects and Physical Computing
- Chemistry and Health Science Projects for National Chemistry Week
- 24 Halloween Science Projects and Experiments!
- Aerodynamics Science Fair Projects: Planes, Rockets, Kites, Drones & More
- Hispanic Scientists and Engineers - Hispanic Heritage Month