Student Science for DNA Day
Help students better understand DNA with hands-on student STEM projects from Science Buddies!
Explore DNA, Genetics and Genomics with K-12 STEM Projects: Hands-on STEM with Science Buddies. www.sciencebuddies.org
National DNA Day is an annual celebration that marks the completion of the Human Genome Project in April 2003 and the discovery of the double helix of DNA in 1953.
At all student levels, there are ways for students to learn more about DNA and related science through hands-on experimentation.
Genetics, Genomics, and DNA Projects for Students
Students interested in doing science projects and STEM activities related to genetics, genomics, or DNA may want to try exciting projects and explorations like these:
- A Magnetic Primer Designer
- Are Fingerprint Patterns Inherited?
- Do-It-Yourself DNA
- Extracting Onion DNA
- Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying DNA
- From Genes to Genetic Diseases: What Kinds of Mutations Matter?
- How Much DNA Can You Pack into a Cell?
- Learning Your A, G, C's (and T, too)
- Molecular Scissors
- Pedigree Analysis: A Family Tree of Traits
- What Makes a DNA Fingerprint Unique?
- Who Has the Biggest Genome?
Students ready for more advanced research projects related to genetics and genomics may enjoy the following:
- Bioinformatics - The Perfect Marriage of Computer Science & Medicine
- BLAST into the Past to Identify T. Rex's Closest Living Relative
- Death Rays: What Duration of Ultraviolet Exposure Kills Bacteria?
- DNA Fingerprinting
- Neanderthals, Orangutans, Lemurs, & You—It's a Primate Family Reunion!
- The Tree of Life — I (basic)
- The Tree of Life – II (advanced)
- Trace Your Ancient Ancestry Through DNA
- Use DNA Sequencing to Trace the Blue Whale's Evolutionary Tree
- What is the Woolly Mammoth's Closest Living Relative?
- X-inactivation Marks the Spot for Cat Coat Color
A Career in STEM
To learn more about careers related to genetics and genomics, see the following science career profiles:
- Bioinformatics Scientist
- Biological Technician
- Forensic Science Technician
- Cytogenetic Technologist
- Genetic Counselor
For additional reading related to genetics, genomics, and DNA, see the following posts on the Science Buddies Blog:
- Celebrating DNA and the History of the Double Helix
- DNA Show and Tell: Biotechnology You Can Wear Around Your Neck
- Mark DNA Day with a Field Trip, a Genome Refresher, or a Spool-Your-Own DNA Activity
- Science Fit for the Stage: DNA Sequencing Confirms Identity of Richard III's Skeleton
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
Explore Our Science Videos
Make Your Own Lava Lamp
Walking Water Experiment
Paper Rockets - STEM Activity