Candy Science for Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day may bring with it extra candy. Luckily, you can put some of this candy to scientific use with a fun and eye-pleasing STEM activity and a lesson in molecular diffusion. Just add water!
Valentine's STEM: Just Add Water. www.sciencebuddies.org
Colorful Candy STEM
All you need to do this hands-on science activity is colorful candies, a small bowl, and water. Have students line the candies up in a ring around the edge of the bowl, slowly pour water into the center of the bowl, and observe what happens!
Students can use stopwatches to time the reaction and can compare reaction times for different kinds of candies or different temperatures of water. What colorful designs will you create? Which candies work best?
Get full step-by-step directions and learn more about the science behind the activity in the Candy Rainbow activity.
Science Kids can See
Take a closer look at the colorful reaction in this timelapse video:
For other candy- and color-based hands-on STEM projects and activities that you can do with students, see the following:
- Candy Experiments: Doing Fun Science at Home during School Closures (Activity #23)
- Valentine's Day Candy Science
- Make a Milk Rainbow
- Colorful STEM Projects for Summer Science Fun
- Candy Color Chromatography
- Colorful Sharpie Tie-Dye Science
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Earth Day Science Activities
- Mario Day Activities — Bring Mario World to Life with Hands-on STEM!
- Free Valentine's Day STEM Activities
- Holiday STEAM Projects to Make and Give
- Halloween STEM Activities
- 6 STEM Activities for St. Patrick's Day
- 3 STEM Projects for Valentine's Day
- 5 Summer Science Picks for Independence Day!
Explore Our Science Videos
How to Build an ArtBot
Make a Slushy! Yummy STEM Project
Physics and Chemistry of an Explosion Science Fair Project Idea