Bubbly Soda Science: Weekly Science Activity
Making your own carbonated beverage can be a lot of fun. How much fizz do you like? What flavor? How sweet? The process of carbonating water and serving up a custom beverage is easier than ever before thanks to commonly available household devices like Sodastream®. But a pressurized approach to creating a carbonated beverage is not the only way to prepare a refreshing soda-style drink.
With a few simple ingredients, students can experiment with mixing up their own soda-style beverages at home using sodium bicarbonate and citric acid mixed with water. Experimenting with the quantity and ratio of these ingredients lets students observe the chemical reaction that occurs. Taste testing the beverage that results from different ratios of the ingredients makes the whole process even more fun. Mix in a sweetener or natural flavor (like lemon juice), and see if you can find the perfect balance of ingredients for your taste buds, not too fizzy, not too gritty, not too sweet. Can you find the "just right" combination? Does everyone in your house agree? Find out with this easy kitchen chemistry family science experiment.
You and your kids can explore this hands-on science activity using either the full project directions from Science Buddies or the shorter activity version:
- Shimmy, Shimmy Soda Pop: Develop Your Own Soda Pop Recipe (Science Buddies project idea)
- Saint Patrick's Day Science: Brew Up Some Green Soda Pop! (science activity at Scientific American)
For some non-edible fizzy science fun, try the Making Homemade Bath Bombs family science activity!
Note: The food coloring used in this science activity is just for fun. No color is necessary!
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 5 STEM Activities with Marshmallow Peeps
- 6 Steps to Success with the Fluor Engineering Challenge
- 10 Fun Wintry Science Activities
- Make some noise with three new science activities!
- Nine creative science projects to make and give!
- Science Project Success Story: Making paper speakers after school
- Colorful Walking Water Science Activity
- Is the Spoon Black or Silver?
Explore Our Science Videos
Why Won't it Mix? Discover the Brazil Nut Effect
Make a Lemon Volcano - Fun Science Experiment
Stretchy Balloons! Fun STEM Activity