12+ Engineering Projects to Celebrate Girl Day
Take time this Engineers Week to encourage a girl to try an engineering project or activity! Our list of 12+ ideas will help get you started!
Today is Girl Day, an exciting part of Engineers Week! Girl Day is a wonderful reminder to educators and parents around the world that talking with girls about engineering careers, introducing them to engineering role models, and engaging them with creative and hands-on engineering activities can help them see the exciting potential for science, technology, engineering, and math to help solve problems.
Science Buddies is proud to support and encourage millions of girls around the world in their desire to explore hands-on engineering projects and activities using the resources available on the Science Buddies website.
Our scientists work hard to develop content that will appeal to and excite girls, as well as boys. Our library of project ideas contains more than 1,100 projects suitable for K-12 student exploration, regardless of gender.
Help encourage girls to explore and embrace STEM. Check out one of the following science projects and plan to spend time talking with a girl, doing an engineering activity, or brainstorming and creating something new in response to a local problem or challenge.
Creative Engineering Projects
- Build Your Own Crystal Radio
- LED Dance Glove: Get the Party Started with Your Own Interactive Light Show
- Flippy, the Dancing Robot
- Squishy Circuits: Light Up Your Play Doh® Creations!
- Picture This: Building a Cell Phone Microscope
- Build a Pizza Box Solar Oven
- Kaleidoscope Science
- Build a Paper Speaker
- Mixing Mystery: Why Does Tumbling Sometimes Separate Mixtures?
- Electric Play Dough Project 3: Light Up Your Sculptures!
- Grasping with Straws: Make a Robot Hand Using Drinking Straws
- Motion Mania: Applying Physics to Hula-Hooping
- How Loud Can Paper Speakers Get?
- Explore Optical Illusions: Build an Infinity Mirror
- Green Technology: Build an Electronic Soil Moisture Sensor to Conserve Water
- Put Your Water to Work: Using Hydropower to Lift a Load
- Feeding Fido & Fluffy: Designing an Automatic Pet Feeder
- Smart Medicine Cabinet: Build a Sensor That Reminds Patients When to Take Medication
- Staying Healthy with Personal Medicine Apps
- Unleash the Power of a Pinwheel!
- Get Crafty — Create Your Own Durable Paper Doll
- Crash! Can Cell Phones Survive a Drop Test?
- Build a Helping Hand
- Exciting Girls about Science and Engineering
- LEGO Movie Makes Engineering Awesome
- Inspiring Future Female Engineers: GoldieBlox Goes to the Super Bowl
- Supporting Girls Doing Science
- Crash Testing Calculators: Product Engineering and the Road to Improved Durability
Student STEM in Action
- Girls Explore Engineering with Marble Run Challenge
- Girls at After-school Program Science Event Explore Paper Airplanes
- Durable Paper Dolls: Materials Science Meets Creative Pastime
- Wearable Electronics: Sewing an LED Patch
- Sewing Electronics: Wearables that Light Up
- Flippy the Robot Dances (and Falls Apart)
- Creative Paper Circuits with Copper Tape
- Solar Ovens Are Totally Hot!
- A Picture Book Look at the Engineering Spirit
- The Most Magnificent Thing: Science Reading
- Rosie Revere and Iggy Peck: Engineering Inspiration
- Encouraging and Inspiring Female Student Engineers
Pin this collection:
Twelve Plus Creative Engineering Projects for Girls: Hands-on STEM with Science Buddies. www.sciencebuddies.org
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- STEM is for Everyone: Jane Goodall, Zoologist
- Coding Activities for Beginners and Beyond
- STEM is for Everyone: Annie Jump Cannon, Classifier of Stars
- 2020 Nobel Science Experiments for K-12 Students
- Halloween STEM Activities
- STEM is for Everyone: Helen Taussig, Pediatric Cardiologist
- Get Inspired by these Hispanic Scientists and Engineers
- Cornell Senior Cites Middle School Science Fair as Pivotal
Explore Our Science Videos
Slow Motion Craters - STEM Activity
DIY Toy Sailboat
Why Won't it Mix? Discover the Brazil Nut Effect