STEM at Home for Winter Break
School may be out for Winter Break, but Science Buddies has plenty of awesome science, technology, engineering, and math activities to keep kids inspired and excited at home! Give your kids great "to do" options for a fun and engaging Winter Break.
Set Them Up with Engaging Science Activities at Home
The winter break from school is a great time for hands-on activities with the kids. Spend family time exploring something scientifically cool, or set your kids up with a few materials and a great project they can do on their own. They'll have fun, and they'll learn something, too!
The winter break can seem short in spots but long in others, and having a great "to do" activity is always a good plan for an antsy indoors day. My students always enjoy projects that let them explore with their hands, be creative, and end up with something they can show off. Building-oriented projects like robotics, paper circuits, and electric play dough have been popular in my house, as have quasi-craft-oriented explorations like Sharpie tie-dye and sewn circuits. If it lights up or you can eat it, all the better!
Here are my top picks for this year's Winter Break:
- Build a BlueBot Over Break
- Build a Gumdrop Geodesic Dome
- Build a Light-Tracking Bristlebot
- Design Your Own Vibrobots
- Electric Play Dough
- Juice Balls
- How to Grow the Best Crystals
- Junkbots: Robots from Recycled Materials
- Kaleidoscope Science
- Light Up the Season with Computer Science Exploration
- Make a Paper Circuit
- Make Tie-Dye T-shirts with Permanent Markers
- Make Your Own Kazoo
- Mini Trebuchet Science
- Paper Rocket Aerodynamics
- Projectile Physics and Catapult Science
- Squishy Circuits: Light Up Your Play Doh® Creations!
- Starry Night: Art that Changes in the Dark
- The Amazing Floating Train
- Whip Up Some Science in the Kitchen
For other suggestions of great hands-on STEM projects and activities your students may enjoy, see the Creative Science and Engineering for Kids collection.
Pin this collection:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Fun, Free, STEM Activities for Preschool
- 9 STEM Activities to Teach about States of Matter
- 6 STEM Activities to Teach about Thermal Energy and Heat
- Star Wars-themed STEM Activities for May 4th
- 12 Engineering Design Challenges Perfect for Remote Learning
- 8 Free Science Activities with Toilet Paper Tubes
- 6 STEM Activities for St. Patrick's Day
- 3 STEM Projects for Valentine's Day
Explore Our Science Videos
10 Robotics Projects Kids Can Really Make!
Why Do Apples and Bananas Turn Brown? - STEM activity
4 Easy Robot Science Projects for Kids