Ready, Set, Go! (Awesome Summer Science Experiments)
Check in each week at Science Buddies this summer for our Awesome Summer Science Experiments series! Each week, we'll highlight a few activities for awesome science and engineering kids can do at home. We've got a whole summer of fun STEM themes lined up for kids of all ages — for free. This week: Ready, Set, Go! STEM — awesome summer science experiments that take off, roll, fly, spin, and more!
From the Vault!: This post was part of our 2021 Awesome Summer Science series featuring ten free weeks of themed science projects and experiments.
Awesome Ready, Set, Go! STEM
We've reached the final week of our 10-weeks of Awesome Summer Science Experiments! It's been an exciting summer of hands-on STEM learning, and the fun isn't over! This week, we've highlighted a set of experiments with a Ready, Set, Go! theme.
The activities in Week 10 of our Awesome Summer Science Experiments series feature fun builds that hover, fly, spin, roll, and more!
EXPERIMENT: Ready, Set, Go! STEM
Use these questions to prompt conversation and reflection about the science behind this week's Awesome Summer Science Experiments activities:
- What are Newton's three laws of motion?
- Which law of motion can you observe in how the propeller on the mini propeller car works?
- What kinds of energy did you observe in the activity you tried?
(Educators! See the Teach About Newton's Laws of Motion resource.)
SCIENCE KITS: Bristlebots and BlueBots
The following Science Buddies Kits fit in with this week's Ready, Set, Go! STEM theme:
- Bristlebot Robotics Kit: Design and build different kinds of wiggling, wobbling robots with the Bristlebot Robotics Kit. Combining the specialty parts in the kit with craft and household materials, kids can learn about robotics and circuits as they build ArtBot, Brushbot, and Bristlebot robots. Or, they can jump in and design their own custom Junkbot robots using recycled materials.
- BlueBot 4-in-1 Robotics Kit: BlueBot robots are robotic vehicles with specific behaviors based on the sensors used in their circuits. Explore robotics and sensors by building a Motion-Activated Guard Robot, a Speedy Light-Tracking Robot, a Zippy Line-following Robot, or an Obstacle-Avoiding Robot. (For more ideas, see 10 Robotics Projects with the BlueBot Kit.)
Learn more about Science Buddies Kits and see our 12 Science Kits for Summer Science Experiments and Discovery recommendations and Science Project Kits - Our top 10 list!.
EXPLORE: STEM Careers
After trying this week's summer science experiments, kids can learn more about related science and engineering careers, like:
- Mechanical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Aerospace Engineer
- Robotics Engineer
Pair picture and story books like these with this week's Awesome Summer Science Experiments explorations.
For more suggestions for science-themed summer reading, see our Summer Reading List. Also, don't miss this roundup of creative STEM activities for storytelling and imaginative play.
Bookmark Awesome Summer Science Experiments Week 10: Ready, Set, Go! STEM
10 Weeks of Awesome Summer Science Experiments
- Week 1 - Rubber Band STEM
- Week 2 - Kitchen Concoctions
- Week 3 - Wizardly STEM
- Week 4 - High-Flying STEM
- Week 5 - Amazing Art Science
- Week 6 - Clever Contraptions
- Week 7 - Radiant Rainbows
- Week 8 - Wacky Water Science
- Week 9 - Carnival STEM
- Week 10 - Ready, Set, Go STEM
Follow the full summer series on the Awesome Summer Science Experiments page!
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 12 Science Kits for Summer Science Experiments and Discovery
- Ready, Set, Go! (Awesome Summer Science Experiments)
- Awesome Summer Science Experiments
- Deep Dive into STEM—Do a Summer Science Project!
- Imagine Your Story - STEM Activities for Storytellers of All Ages!
- Carnival STEM (Awesome Summer Science Experiments)
- Wacky Water Science (Awesome Summer Science Experiments)
- Radiant Rainbows (Awesome Summer Science Experiments)