Your Guide to Science Activities for Summer Break
Pencil in some summer science fun with science, technology, engineering, and math activities that your kids can do at home over the break. No reports, no grades, just exciting hands-on, DIY learning, innovation, and discovery! We have suggestions to help you make sure summer break has plenty of opportunity for awesome, empowering, skill-building exploration with projects they will be excited about doing "just for fun."
Summer break from school leaves hours and hours to fill! Keeping kids stocked with creative, hands-on STEM activities is a great way to infuse the summer with brain-boosting fun.
Science Buddies has hundreds of activities, projects, and experiments that can be done at home as summer exploration. Kids can create, build, make, and innovate with DIY physics, robotics, and engineering projects. Colorful chemistry experiments let kids mix, measure, and observe, and food science projects bring chemistry into the kitchen for edible fun. We recommend you mix and match projects that best fit your kids' interests and also give them plenty of room to explore, be creative, and make discoveries.
The following projects and activities make our "top picks" list for this summer, but we encourage you to explore our full STEM activities area and our weekly family activities spotlight for many, many more great options!
Summer Science Picks
- Art Bot: Build a Wobbly Robot That Creates Art
- Bottle Rocket Blast Off!
- Slime Chemistry
- Build a Brushbot
- Build a Catapult
- Build a Mini Trebuchet
- Build a Paper Speaker
- Electric Paint: Light Up Your Painting
- Flippy the Robot
- Generate Electricity with a Lemon Battery
- How to Grow the Best Crystals
- Juice Balls
- Kaleidoscope Science
- Launching Homemade Baking Soda Rockets
- LED Dance Glove (or patch!)
- Make a Milk Rainbow
- Make a Paper Circuit
- Make Tie-Dye T-shirts with Permanent Markers
- Make Your Own Soda
- Making Homemade Bath Bombs
- Marble Machine
- Music for Martians: Build and Play a Theremin Instrument
- Paper Maze Programming
- Physics Secrets for Hula Hooping
- Rocket Science: How High Can You Send a Payload?
- The Amazing Floating Train: How Much Weight Can A Maglev Train Hold?
- Turn Milk into Plastic
More Great Choices for Science at Home
Don't miss these other "break"-oriented collections of science, technology, engineering, and math projects:
- Colorful STEM Projects for Summer Science Fun
- A Super Science-filled Summer Break
- Avoid the Summer Slide: Bring on the Family and Home Science Projects!
- Creative Summer Science: A Science Collection
- Fun Science at Home: Give Spring Break a Science Boost
- Spring Break Science: A Hands-on Project Survival Guide
- Science and Engineering Activities for the Winter Break (Or Any Time!)
- Sparking Interest in Science and Science History for the Read Aloud Crowd
Pin this collection:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Student Discovers Green Thumb Growing Plants without Water
- Elementary School Student Finds Science Fair Success
- 10 Projects to Get Started Building Circuits on a Breadboard!
- Students Race to the Finish with Solar Sprint Cars
- Explore Crater Science to Celebrate Moon Landing Anniversary
- STEM is for Everyone: Temple Grandin, Animal Scientist with Autism
- 5 STEM Activities with Marshmallow Peeps
- 16 Women in Engineering to Learn More About
Explore Our Science Videos
Make A Tissue Paper Parachute - STEM Activity
Make Your Own Lava Lamp
10 Robotics Projects Kids Can Really Make!