Find Fun STEM Activities to Fit Science Needs
Quickly find free science activities for use with students at home!
Science Buddies has more than 150 free science activities for kids. These activities are short-term science and engineering explorations especially designed for use at home, in the classroom, or for programs at libraries, camps, or afterschool.
Science Buddies' resources are always free, but during the current widespread school closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the free library of science activities offers a treasure trove of readymade science instruction that teachers can use as part of their online learning strategy and that parents can use at home.
Finding the STEM You Need
On the STEM Activities for Kids page, you can browse all activities by various thematic categories to find activities of interest. To make it easier for teachers to find activities that fit the units they are doing with students, we've sorted the liste below by areas of science.
To learn more about using these activities as part of your online learning, see STEM activities. We also encourage you to share Science Buddies as a resource for your students' families. The 30 Free Picks for Fun Kid Science post highlights 30 activities families may especially enjoy at home in these days. We also are running a Doing Science at Homeseries, with posts on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays as one of our own staff members chronicles her adventure doing science at home with her kids during the school closure in her area.
STEM Activities for Kids Sorted by Areas of Science
Aerodynamics and Hydrodynamics
- Build a Paper Airplane Launcher
- Build a Two-Stage Balloon Rocket
- Build an Archimedes Screw
- How Does a Hovercraft Hover?
- How Much Weight Can Aluminum Foil Boats Float?
- How Tails Help a Kite to Fly
- Make a Parachute
- Make a Toy Sailboat
- Paper Airplanes: Why Flaps and Folds Matter
- The Aerodynamics of Flying a Frisbee
- Best Wand for Big Bubbles
- Blowing the Best Bubbles
- Build a Bathtub Toy Raft Powered by Surface Tension
- Candy Lightning: A Flashy Activity
- Candy Rainbow
- Color-changing Cabbage Chemistry
- Colorful Patterns in Melting Ice
- Dancing Candy Hearts
- Does Wet Hair Float or Cling?
- Dye Eggs Using Silk Ties for Egg-cellent Colors
- Elephant Toothpaste
- Explore Glow-in-the-Dark Water!
- Foaming Fake Snow
- Homemade Rice Paper
- How to Grow the Best Crystals
- How to Make Slime
- Launching Homemade Baking Soda Rockets
- Make a Fire Snake
- Make a Lemon Volcano
- Make a Sunprint Using Objects from Nature!
- Make an Alka-Seltzer Powered Lava Lamp
- Make Marbled Cards Using Science!
- Make Tie-Dye T-shirts with Permanent Markers
- Make Your Drawings Float!
- Making Homemade Bath Bombs
- Secret Messages With Invisible Ink!
- Shrink a Potato with Osmosis!
- The Science of Frescoes
- Turn Milk into Plastic
- Use Chemistry to Lift Ice Cubes
- Underwater Color Bursts
Cooking and Food Science
Electricity, Electronics, Energy, and Power
Geology and Ocean Science
Human Biology, Health, and Microbiology
- Find Your Blind Spot!
- Exploring Mummification with Hot Dogs
- How Do We Breathe?
- How Strong Is Your Hair?
- How Far Can Your Sneeze Go?
- How Well Do You Wash Your Hands?
- Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer
- Make Your Own Stethoscope
- Model Your Blood Flow
- Seeing in the Dark
- How Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Take Over
- A Candle Seesaw Balancing Act
- A Really Long Straw
- Balance the Forces Within a Mobile
- Balancing Act
- Balloon Magic with Bernoulli's Principle
- Curl Metals With Heat!
- Build a Cooler
- Build a Disk Siren
- How Empty Is an Empty Bottle?
- Build a Marble Roller Coaster
- Build a Paper Roller Coaster
- Build A Wall Marble Run
- Build a Water Strider
- Can You Kazoo?
- Candy Waterfalls: Can Candy Flow Like Water?
- Circus-Trick Science: How to Balance Anything
- Create a Sea Breeze
- Discover the Flaming Colors of Fireworks
- Distorted Images in Curved Mirrors
- Explore the Wet Sand Effect
- Gelatin Pearls
- Go With the Flow
- Holes That Do Not Leak!
- How Fish Sink and Float
- How to Harvest Water from Fog
- Hula Hooping with a Rubber Band
- Lights, Camera, (Capillary) Action!
- Make a Cotton Ball Launcher
- Make a Homemade Compass
- Make a Milk Rainbow
- Make a Rubber Band Guitar
- Make Sprinkles Vibrate with Sound
- Mini Golf Physics
- Phone Book Friction
- Physics Secrets for Hula Hooping
- Popsicle Stick Chain Reaction
- Shaping Hard-boiled Eggs
- Slippery Slopes and the Angle of Repose
- Theme Park Science with Jell-O® Loop-De-Loops
- Use a Drop of Water as Magnifying Glass
- Holes That Do Not Leak!
- Walking Water
- Why Soda Fizzes — Boyle's Law Demonstration
Weather and Atmosphere
Browse all STEM Activities for Kids
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Use the Free Global Problem Solvers Video Series with Kids at Home
- Free STEM Lessons that Work Well for Remote Learning
- 12 Engineering Design Challenges Perfect for Remote Learning
- Using FlipGrid with Science Buddies for Remote Learning in Science Class
- Explore STEM Careers with a Remote Learning Project
- STEM Career Bingo!
- 8 Free Science Activities with Toilet Paper Tubes
- Find Fun STEM Activities to Fit Science Needs
Explore Our Science Videos
Is the Egg Raw or Cooked? STEM activity
How to Make an Archimedes Screw - STEM Activity
BlueBot 4-in-1 Robotics Kit